Saturday, December 13, 2014

Gratitude & Vision

This is the time of year when we tend to reflect on our lives, the things we are grateful for, and the things we want to achieve or change in the coming year.

This year has definitely been one of the biggest of my entire life! As I look back over what this year has brought me and and my family, I am absolutely overwhelmed with gratitude. In March I celebrated my 10th wedding anniversary with my husband, Greg. We have had a truly wild ride over the past decade as partners in life, ministry and family, and I couldn't ask for a better man by my side! He has been so supportive and helpful as I have journeyed into a new chapter of my life (both as a businesswoman and Mrs. Ohio). I am so lucky to have him as the backbone of our family when life gets crazy!

We also moved into a new home this year, launched my business (Shaylyn Ford Signature Beauty, offering on location hair and makeup services) had the amazing privilege of becoming Mrs. Ohio - and then found out we had another baby boy on the way! Whew! If someone had told me last year about everything this year would hold, I can assure you I wouldn't have believed them.



Competing in the Mrs. Ohio Pageant was such a highlight of my year. It was a chance to step outside of "normal" life for a weekend, meet some of the amazing women from around my state, and challenge myself in a new way. I truly enjoyed the whole journey leading up to it; it forced me to focus on my priorities and find my voice. I can't say enough about the beautiful women (both inside and out) I had the honor of competing with and the way those relationships have enriched my life. If you are a married woman wondering what is next for you, I encourage you to contact Emily Stark and find out more about Mrs. Ohio 2015. I truly believe that the experience will open doors and open your eyes to potential and opportunities you may not have realized you had! I did not go into this competition expecting to win - wanting to, yes! - but the process of preparing and the joy of being chosen to represent our state were unexpected, wonderful surprises!


Preparing for Mrs. America was a such a whirlwind! I was so blessed to have the advice and support of my director, Emily Stark, my predecessor, Teri Grothaus, and the coaching of another former Mrs. Ohio, Rhonda Shappert. I had a fantastic group of sponsors too, who made the entire journey so much fun! I spent 9 unforgettable days in Tucson, AZ for Mrs. America, and it was truly a dream come true to make the Top 15! The friendships and memories will be something I treasure forever.




One of my best gifts from the Mrs. America experience? My roommate Nicki, Mrs. Colorado. I didn't know anyone was capable of making me laugh that hard before 6 AM! It was so thrilling to also share the Top 15 distinction and the same wonderful director with her!

As I reflect on all of the amazing developments in my life this year, I am overwhelmed by the goodness of God and and the wonderful people He has surrounded me with. I am thankful that I have developed the courage and stamina to step out in faith and pursue my dreams. I am grateful to have found clarity in my vision and my voice, and now the opportunity to use those things to bless others. More than anything, I want the opportunity pass this on and "pay it forward." My prayer for you is that you find YOUR purpose and goals for the new year. I pray that you find the strength to pursue it no matter what the obstacles. My Christmas wish is that you will find a circle of support who pushes you towards greater things. Because let me tell you, although stepping outside your comfort zone is terrifying, the payoff is often more than you could have ever imagined!

Merry Christmas and a brave, exciting, happy and healthy New Year!

Shaylyn Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment